Thursday, April 30, 2009

The road to rebirth


Two years ago I started a new career which offered me the fiscal ability to put dad's long forgotten bike back together. He agreed, with a bit of trepidation, to haul it up to me, with the admonition that I am not allowed to sell it or give it away.

At the time, I don't think that he understood that it wasn't the Harley motorcycle that I wanted. It was the bike my dad built that I wanted. If it had been an old CB750 or GS800 I wouldn't care. The fact that it's a cool chopper is just icing on the cake.

When he showed up at my house with the bike (after driving 1700 miles or so), the only thing in the back of his truck was a badly corroded engine, transmission, and frame. A few odds and ends were in boxes, such as some clutch parts, rocker box covers, oil tank, etc.), so this truly was a basket case.

There were more parts missing from this bike than were in attendance. This would be my first ever ground-up rebuild, and it was going to be a doozie.

No comments:

Post a Comment